Wednesday, January 25, 2006

a simple error

I invented a new word today - 'bewilderness' - a place where nothing makes sense. Julian (a music technician of my acquaintance, who is a prolific songwriter) has stolen it to use in a song, whilst shamelessly announcing that I won't get any royalties. As I understand it, Julian hasn't ever had any royalties from any of his efforts to date so I am not feeling at all cheated by his underhand behaviour. Jack came out with 'mahoganist' the other day - but rather than exhibiting brilliant inventiveness (like his Dad) he just got the wrong word. What a good one though! Despite the stiff competition, podcatcher remains my favourite word so far for 2006.

Burton Manor College stained glassMajor embarrassment with my recent Richard Ashcroft review. I was anxious to get it out BEFORE the album was released and in my rush I failed to notice that the track which I nominated as the best ('Simple Song') wasn't him at all! Well I did notice that his voice was totally different on that track, but they can do things like that in the studio can't they? Actually some complete donkey brain had 'shared' an mp3 of the Lyle Lovett song of the same name under a Richard Ashcroft label. I did a double check later and discovered the truth. It's a good job nobody reads these meanderings eh!

Actually, I do quite like the album - 'Simple Song' is a good track but the best was saved for last - 'World Keeps Turning'. You know it's good when it finishes before you want it to. I was reminded of Dylan, Neil Diamond and Cat Stevens at various times throughout the album - I can't help doing that 'sounds like' thing. As an example, listen to the My Morning Jacket song 'Gideon'. Now, have they been listening to 'Won't Get Fooled Again' or am I barking up the wrong mahogany in my bewilderness?

No comments: