Saturday, January 21, 2006

an Arts Review special

I listened to a preview of the new Richard Ashcroft album today. I do think he picked the strongest song for the single (Break the Night ....) and on first hearing there are only a couple of other tracks that stand out (Simple Song being the best) - but maybe it'll grow on me. I'm still worried about him saying that he knows what it's like to be Jesus - having touched so many people. Will someone please tell me that he didn't really say that.

Here's a band that you might like if New Canadian Soft Rock is your thing - 'Raised By Swans' (nice name eh!) whose song Violetlight I heard on CBC Radio3's podcast (#34). The 1 hour broadcast is updated each week - the DJ is very annoying at first, but strangely I have warmed to him now, and he does string tracks together without interruption (I'd do that too if I was a radio jock). Apart from the excellent 'The Arcade Fire' I haven't heard any of the stuff that he plays - a mix of rock, punk, indie etc etc. The 'swans' allow you to
download 3 tracks from their debut album (including Violetlight - which didn't go down very well in the office, but what do 'pie eaters' know about music anyway!). Paste this URL into your podcatcher (I love that word) to access the shows - http://www.cbcradio3.com/podcast/standard/

Raphael Santiago - Secret WordsWhat do you think of the artwork - a piece called Palabras Secretas by Raphael Santiago? It's about keeping secrets - the words are there, but we can't allow them to be seen. I'll tell you more about this exciting modern artist in a future blog. Meanwhile, if you want a signed copy I've got one for sale. Can you afford it?

Talking of modern art - what do you think of
Paul McCarthy? One of his most famous works is an installation called The Garden which has a full size animatronic man making love to a tree whilst another mechanised male gets friendly with a hole in the ground. That's one of his less revolting pieces. Did I say art? He makes Tracey Emin look like the sort of girl you could introduce to the vicar!

1 comment:

Terry Kane said...

Hi Alan

I think you've missed you're vocation but can't decide which one of the four you excel at on here that you should have really gone with; music reviewer, art critic, columnist or photographer! You're wasted at MCC : ) I don't know how you find the time to do the blog as well as take the pix, read the books, listen to the music, look at the exhibitions and still come up with and post the thought out commentary. Foxy says to tell you that she spotted a long time ago that her good friend was wasted and he should be over on the bright side where he'd actually be appreciated ; )

Did you get you're payment from that scumbag Vivian. Sorry for the language but I hate anyone who takes the piss out of the value of a photographer's work. Really excellent pic and I think that you should think about putting that pic and some of your other stuff with a picture library, have a look at Alamy.com?

One question; I've set up a blogger account but didn't see how to post pix? Could you email me or foxy with how to do it?

Keep up the good work,
Terry